A focal point or a focal piece is indeed one of the essential parts of design. It is the first thing that your guests are likely to notice. Hence, it wouldn’t be wrong to call the focal piece the star of the room. However, it is extremely crucial to choose the right point where these focal pieces are, to create the maximum impression.
Highlight the architectural features
A lot of times you will find an architectural feature in your space, so it is best to highlight your these naturally (actually man-made) existing features. This will further play an important role in setting the layout of the room. For example, if there are columns or beams you can’t do away with, turn them into design features. If you have big windows, they naturally become a focal point. High ceilings can also act as a focal feature. You might have a water body or a tree inside the house, these are the best focal point one can ask for!
Build your own focal features
If you do not have a pre-existing/architectural focal point in your house, you should consider building one of your own. There are several options available, which is why you may want to choose the one that suits your style the best. Accent walls, artwork, focal furniture, Bold Colors, dramatic light fittings etc. are some great examples.
Mistakes to avoid
Whenever creating a focal piece for your house, you need to keep these in mind:
● Although it may be tempting to have two focal points in the same room, as per the rules of design, no room should have more than one focal point.
● Do not forget to light-up the focal piece. According to experts, every feature piece should have enough light of its own to make it the center of attraction.
● Add extra details, such as framing the area for extra advantages, or adding a level
● You can give the focal piece a complete miss too! An overall cohesive design works well without an accent or a feature piece as well.
● Focal Piece can be something very simple, as simple as wallpaper or use of color (in multiple pieces).
Now that you have some basic tips, go on and add that accent piece you have your heart set out on!